I Told You So
Becca called this morning. Bets on what she wanted. How long did I say it would be? A month?
She called this morning in tears. She was sobbing over the phone. She could barely talk. I won't bore you with the detailed panty way she was talking, I'll let you picture it for yourself.
"He said that he thinks we may have moved too fast. That neither of us was really ready for this."
Why am I not surprised. Translation: He's afraid that she's going to start thinking about love, marriage, and the baby carriage. He wants his freedom. He wants to be able to dump her or cheat on her or take his time deciding without feeling the guilt he should be feeling.
"I told him it was too late, that you'd already started looking for roommates, that you'd taken my money and not looked back.
Then, he said... he said... 'You can always look into getting a place by yourself. Your problem is, Bec, you're too dependent on other people. You smother them, until they feel like they have get rid of you just to breathe again.'"
Ah yes, the Commitment Phobic's classic strategy -put her down so she won't know where to put the blame. Translation: if you were a better person, if you had it together, if you weren't such an annoyance, I'd love you and want to be with you.
You're not damn good enough. I told her the same thing I always tell her. "This guy is only going to keep on hurting you. Dump him!" But nooooo.... NOOOOOO.... She CAN'T! She LOVES him. She needs to BE with him. He's not always like this. He's been under a lot of pressure lately. His job isn't going well. His parents have been nagging him about his grades. Blah, blah, blah.
Then, sadly, she asked me if I had found a new roommate, in this tiny, pathetic little voice that made me want to hug her. I felt so bad.
I told her that I was moving and she started crying again. "I'm sorry. I'm so happy for you, Bit, I really am. I just didn't think this would happen to us."
"Give it a little time," I said, because that was all I could say. She didn't want to hear anything else, really.
I know what you are wondering. What did Jones have to say about the demise of the male species?
He laughed. "That's cool. I knew it would happen someday. But you know that men are still going to be around. As long as there are women out there, who can't seem to keep their hands off of men (funny he should say that, when my hands were very much on women right at that moment), we will be around for a while. Sex is too fun. And until women are all lesbians, I'll be free from fear," he said.
He did, however, agree that it could change the dynamics of gender relations. Women have one up on men now. Women are needed for their eggs and wombs.
Men might not be needed for their sperm. The question is... how will the rest of the world respond? Will guys step up and come up with something even more brilliant that proves their worth? Will women suddenly try to create a matriarchal society, versus the one we are living in now? Or will it merely give women a level playing field? This is big. I can feel it.
But the implications are just too large to grasp intelligently. Yet I'm also sure that there are many women who this will not affect at all. Certain women in certain Middle Eastern Countries like Turkey where any girl wanting to be a nurse must be tested to see if she is still a virgin.
So I will stop while I'm ahead. (And sans misspellings, hopefully, as I'm sure there are people anal enough to actually check. HA.)
I will leave you with something that I told Ms Schubert on our group discussions. "I'm glad that women aren't obsolete. I'm glad I can kiss you like this (which I did). I'm glad I can smell the way you smell, right after your shower. I'm glad I was smart enough to snag you from my group."
"I snagged you, silly," She said. And there was the half-grin. And there was the following niceness that need not be given in detail

Comments