Home is where the heart is given up


"Home is where the heart is given up"
- Live


Some people play an entire CD listening to the various tracks of the artist. I'm different. I tend to play one song over and over and over. I absorb the song and let the song absorb me. Twice I have quoted various musicians. This entry is the third time I'm doing it.

I've been listening to this song by the band live. It's called, "They stood up for love". I got a chance to see them perform in concert and it was amazing especially when they sang the song I just mentioned. For those of you who love lyrics, this is the song for you. It's poetry I tell you.

The chorus goes....

"We spend all of our lives going out of our mind,
Looking back to our birth, forward to our demise.
Even scientists say, everything is just light,
Not created destroyed, but eternally bright.
Masters in every time, lord in every place,
Those who stood up for love, in spite of the hate."

There was a point in time where I was in love with this girl for the longest time. Five years to be exact. She was the one that got away. We started out as friends and just never crossed that line. According to her, it was dangerous to try and elevate it because the friendship might be comprimised. Wheneve someone says such a thing, you knonw that it's never going to work out.

You show me a love without risk and I'll show you something masquerading as love. Love is a risk. Loving is nothing more than allowing another person to get inside you. Loving is giving someone the power to hurt, devastate, and crush you. Only the ones we love hurt us.

So that was that. For five years I thought something would have happened. It was ideal. We had the same wavelength. We understood each other. We finished off each others sentences and communicated with facial expressions. In retrospect, it wasn't so perfect after all. She didn't risk anything. She didn't allow me the capacity to hurt her but in the process she ended up hurting me. That's life.

It's funny. I'm definitely over her. It's so bad that it's even come to a point where I'm almost indifferent towards her. But I haven't been able to get close to any one after her. The problem is that she has become the benchmark and strangely enough, no one has come close to her.

Weird huh? I know that nothing will ever happen between us and honestly, if she asked at this point in time for something serious, I would have to say no. I don't want to get involved with her.

There was a time when I would have done anything for her. Funny how things change. It just wouldn't be complete if I didnt' write about her for even if nothing ever occured, she was still an important part of my life. She taught me well.

She taught me that love isn't some chicken shit fool, love is an idiot who is willing to fight for it. A fight for love is never a losing battle. I guess her being a peace lover never made her fight for anything. Her friends were actually upset with her for not getting together with me, but then again, they are only her friends, not her.

One thing though, we had one of the most beautiful dates. In fact, I think it was the best date I'd even been on. One afternoon I picked her up and took her to some secluded mountatin top. She didn't know what to expect. She thought I was crazy for driving to such an isolated location at a whim. Little did she know that in the trunk of my car was anice little picnic bastket and blanket.

We reached the place 30 minutes before sunset. I laid the blanket down and set everything up. She couldn't believe that I actually cooked an entire meal just for her beacuse she knows that I don't cook. But love will make you do crazy things, like cook.

That evening, we watched the sunset. For about 30 minutes we didn't speak. We just sat together and marveled at the glory of such a spectacle. After which we drank some wine and talked the entire evening. Right before we left, we sat in silence for another half hour, just being together. We decided to leave when the crescent moon smiled upon us. It is a nice memory.

I'd love to do such a thing again, but I wouldn't. The picnic was ours to share and it would be wrong to replicate it with someone else. It's going to be tough to try and find a better date than that but I'm sure that when the perfect woman comes along, it will be child's play.

Comments

Popular Posts