Then there came you.
You don't know how shattered I was before you. You don't know how little I cared, how much I used other people, even while I crooned to them, cared about them, spoke to them words that maybe I never should have. I never said these words though. I never used those three words that say so little and yet carry so much meaning and depth within them. I felt so empty, lost. Nothing made me whole, nothing gave me peace. I was caged within myself and seeking a release that I did not think I could find. I was struggling without hope because I did not believe that there was hope to be found.
Then there came you. You have no idea how much you enthrall and intrigue me. You can't begin to comprehend the lengths to which I would go for you, how much I would do for you, if only you'd hold me close. I want only make you happy, to soothe your fears of what I was, and to reassure you of what I am, and what I would become for you. I wish I could let you inside my head, let you know even half of what I feel, let you feel the ache that resides within me when you're not here. I wish that I could keep you safe from the world.
I know you have seen me for what I am, what I can be, and even the things that you do not comprehend. I wonder how it is that you can see all these things and still love me after you look into my eyes and acknowledge and accept every aspect of my being. You draw me in with your eyes that make me think of the ocean. You captivate me with your voice that is like soft and distant thunder, rolling passively over me and moving through me in soft vibrations.
I love how you look at me in the moments when we are closest, in the silence when voices seem too thick and harsh. In the silence when it seems that to speak might be to shatter the entire worlds around us in the space of only a second. I could die in those moments because I worry that you'll be frightened away by what you see. I worry that you'll want to run from who and what I am beneath this coarse mask I have donned for humanity. Then the terror passes, and I know that you do not care. I know because you have told me that what you look for is so much more than simply the flaws that I see in myself. I know that I can meet your eyes without fear because you love me and anything that I might reveal in those moments where the truth of who I am, the very core of my soul is nearest to the surface, is something that you have already understood and simply accepted. I can lay myself bare to you, and I can do this because I can utter three simple words and know that I mean them. You are impossible. An answer that I did not think I could receive. An answer that does not restore me, but makes it as if I was never broken. An answer that has made me whole. This is my answer.
I love you.

Comments