The Things I Live For


Sometimes its enough just to hear your voice, soft and sweet, through the phone. It gives me comfort to hear you, because then I can imagine you're there, pretend that you're really just beside me, speaking to me while I press my face against your chest. Speaking to me while I try to find some way to make myself part of you forever. Speaking to me while I try to just let myself relax, try to keep my heart from beating so heavy in my chest, try not to be lost in your voice, or to let you scent fill my head. Being near you is something I live for, even while I know that there are other things in life that I live for too. I live for the sky overhead, the golden sunsets, the gentle glow of the moonlight overhead as it touches the misty clouds with silver. I live to watch the clouds and thick mist roll across mountain valleys, to watch the tides roll in and out upon the shore. I live to hear the sound of birds at twilight, to hear the wind speak to me through the whisper of leaves, to hear the crash of the ocean. I live to hear to laughter of my friends, carefree, full of life. I live to hear them sing to our favorite songs, pouring our joy and our sorrow and our souls into the music, letting it flood into and out of us. I live to hold them when they cry, to give them as much of my strength as I can, to pour myself out to them until I have nothing left to give. I live to see my friends smile, to see their humanity and their divinity shining through in perfect balance with one another. I live for the evenings when we stand together in the rain and laugh and dance and are alive to the point that my heart nearly bursts with it. And I think it might break if the days that I see these things, hear these things, feel these things, ever came to an end.

While I live to be with you, to hold you again, to hear your voice, to look deep into your eyes and see the love I know is there; I live for other things as well. I have to keep reminding myself of that thought. You mean so much to me. You have given a new shade of meaning and color to each of these things, a small reminder that despite my wild running around, despite the childish part of me that wants to let my hair down and go running barefoot through the forest, there is something to return to. I don't feel that hunger in me so much now, I don't feel so wild, because part of it is sated, contented now. You match me so well, fit with me so well that I can hardly comprehend it. All I want is to be able to fix you to my side for the rest of my life, because then I would always know where home was. It would always be where I could find you and those things for which I live.

Comments

Popular Posts