I'm TheWalkingWords

... was on the side of a truck this morning. Told me that I shouldn't expect to fulfill everyone's wishes, or even try - just to be me.
Follow me if you can.
Let's talk about space, shall we?
You either define it, or get it defined for you.
TheSocietyInc is all about redefining your space. About challenging the choices that others made for you; about questioning whether the things you have grown comfortable with are still appropriate.
Start with a question: 'Who am I?'
You are not the same person you were yesterday. Similar, granted, but not bound by it. The decisions you made yesterday do not have to be the same ones you make today - those are a matter of habit and choice.
When you face the world, you are percieved by what the world knows of you; it is not necessarily who you are. If they do not know you at all, they make assumptions based on what they can see.
Bring it forward. Show the world who you are, and do not fail. If you misrepresent yourself, you may never get another chance.
As for who I am - I am one of TheSocietyInc's Chosen - I do not claim to be the TheSocietyInc, just a TheSocietyInc. It means that I'm not responsible for any of the legends, stories, or reputation that goes with the name.
It does, however, mean that I have a song in my spirit - sometimes it doesn't make sense, sometimes it doesn't have words, sometimes it's just a howl - but the song is mine.
I can dance - but I dance like nobody's watching. Because the point of dancing is the opposite of saying who you are. Your dance does not define you; rather, it undefines you.
I want to be a writer. I am a writer already - just in the technical field. But I want to express the songs in my heart, place them down as words, burn them into the electronic pathways so that I can come back later and ask:
"Was that ME?"
I forget who I am, some days; today is one of them. I lose my path some days; that's okay.
I just have to stand still, and lift my nose to the wind. I just have to listen to the songs of the earth, and they will give me directions. I just have to ask my friends, my family, and the occasional stranger for advice, and they sometimes give me the answer.
I already know what I am - like who I am, that is defined by my life as I've lived it so far.
I wasn't always a coyote; but I am one, now. The future may change me; but yesterday was the future, once, too. And I made it where I am by walking the way I did- I never expect to be followed overlong, because the first rule of TheSocietyInc is this: expect people's paths to uncross from yours.
We can't take people with us wherever we go; we can only bring ourselves.
What baggage - emotional, physical, spiritual, mental - we bring is what we choose to carry - sometimes it gets really heavy, I do know, but only you can set it down - or get someone to help carry what you've brought.
Life isn't about walking alone, or walking away; it's about the walking.
And the dancing.
Do you dance?
Do you know who you are?
Show me that you know.
Then show the world.

Comments