It is a melody that is longing & bittersweet,
I can still smell her in the sheets, on my pillow. Traces of her still clinging to my room, reminding me sweetly and painfully of her presence. I can close my eyes and be lost in that smell, lost for hours. It comforts me, helps me drift away from the thought of how far she is from me now.
I think of all the things we've shared, all the things that are said, those that remain unspoken but understood. I'm lost in a swirl of memory, of anxiety and emotion. I think of her and I can hear the full orchestral score in my head, the melodies that only she evokes. I get lost in the song that loving her has become.
It is a melody that is longing, bittersweet, paradoxically perfect and imperfect as we are. It is a melody that is sunrise and sunset, snowfall and warm sunshine on my face. It is a brilliant fall day, colors spashing across a landscape of trees and rolling hills. It is a stilling spring evening, where crickets make their own soft tunes, and birds harmonize with them. It is the soft hint of blossoms on a summer wind, or the scent of an inviting ocean breeze that ruffles through my hair and beckons me to the water. It is the sharp cold of winter, that bites at my nose, or the stillness of a snow covered field beneath the moonlight and clear sky full of stars.
That is what I miss.

Comments